Your home comfort depends on more than just your heater or your air conditioning unit being operable and effective in their duties. It also involves the quality of the air flowing through the system.
All too often we find residents that put their all into maintaining their systems without realizing that one of the main culprits of some of their problems is the air in their home. That is why we want to bring it up.
We believe that it is important to keep your Puyallup indoor air quality in mind when you are trying to improve your home comfort, because it can actually be a make-or-break factor.
What Is Indoor Air Quality?
Indoor Air Quality or IAQ for short is the quality of the air within your home as it pertains to dust levels, humidity and other factors. IAQ can help or hinder your comfort and it can even impact your health.
What Determines Good or Bad IAQ?
So, what might impact the quality of the air within your home? There are a few different factors besides the temperature:
- Dust and debris: If the air coming from your vents is full of dust, fur, and other debris, it will negatively impact your IAQ. It can clog filters and hinder airflow through your HVAC system.
- Humidity: High humidity during summer and overly low humidity in winter can both harm your IAQ and your comfort. Too little humidity can even make it hard to keep your home warm during winter.
- Allergens: Pollen, viruses, bacteria and other microscopic invaders can enter the home and harm the respiratory health of the people inside.
- Fresh air: The level of fresh temperature-controlled air in the house can have a big impact on the IAQ, too.
How Can I Improve My IAQ?
The next question that follows, of course, is what you can do to improve your IAQ? We have a few ideas of what could help depending on what your biggest issues are:
- Change filters and clean your ducts: Dust and other debris making their way into your home are usually caused by filters that are overloaded or installed improperly, or due to a large amount of build-up in your ductwork. Combat this by replacing or cleaning filters and scheduling duct cleaning for your home.
- Consider Heat/Energy Recovery Ventilators: These systems will help you enjoy fresh air in your home without wasting the energy spent heating or cooling it.
- Determine is a humidifier/dehumidifier could help: You can adjust the humidity level in your home with a humidifier or a dehumidifier as needed. If humidity is a regular issue, consider getting one of these systems installed into your HVAC system as a permanent addition.
Not sure which route will suit you best? We can help. The team at Cummings Inc. in Puyallup is available for all of your HVAC service needs. We take everything into account from the operation and energy efficiency of your heater and air conditioner, to the level of indoor air quality in your home. Our goal is to make sure you stay comfortable all year long.
Contact Cummings Inc. today. You will be warm in the winter and comfortably cool in the Summer.